Playing Catch-Up

Ok, so I legit have tons to talk to you guys about- congrats for reading and guess what? This past week my life was interesting I actually have more to report than just working out haha.  So since I have so much to tell you, I’ll break it all up into days of the week so that it’s organized and awesome… per usual.

Tuesday-Thursday;  So my friend Kinga came to visit me last week and she was here Tuesday thru Thursday.  She got here at like 10 am on Tuesday and left at like 8 on Thursday.  Anyways, we spent Tuesday drinking and going shopping.  In all honesty, I don’t drink much when I’m home because I don’t really see the need, plus I don’t really go the bars.  So I think those 3 days I drank enough for the entire summer. 970610_10200997652436301_1254287089_n 968861_10200994934328350_716602473_n Wednesday we went for a 6 mile run, then we went to the town pool and finally we went out to the bars that night.
Funniest thing was that the bar we arrived at looked super crowded and then when we got in we realized it was bingo night and that was why.  We had a good laugh over that, but we stayed and had a good time anyways.  Later in the night we went to another bar where there were legit like 10 people (us included) and we sang Karaoke.  I just want to say that I don’t really sing in front of people anymore and kinga doesn’t at all so we almost peed ourselves laughing that we did that.

And finally on Thursday we went to the race track where it was college day so we got free t-shirts, we drank, we bet on the horses and oh Kinga won a $1000 scholarship… nbd.

When she won I looked at her and just said; “You don’t even go here!”  But I digress on that matter…

In 3 weeks her and I will be reunited since we are living together at school and I absolutely can’t wait.  It’s going to be a great senior year.

Friday-Monday; I know- that’s a long stretch of days, but they all relate to one another so there you go.  Friday I left with my friend Christine to go up to my camp/Lake Placid the next day.  This past weekend was Ironman Lake Placid and we were both volunteers at it-mostly so we could get first dibs at signing up to do it next year.  So Friday we basically got to my camp and spent the night.  The next morning we woke up at 6 a.m. to get to Lake Placid.

Saturday; we got to Placid around 8ish where there was a free pancake breakfast going on. After that was done we had our respective volunteer meetings to go to so that took a few hours.  After that we walked around the expo Ironman Expo (basically like an awesome assortment of goodies) and I bought a few t-shirts.  Then we did 1 loop of the swim course IMG_1234 (it was 1.2 miles) and for not swimming for like a month, I really didn’t feel that bad while doing it.

Finally, we went to the house of some friends of the Slyer’s (Christine’s coach and family) where we set up tents in the backyard.

The next morning we woke up at 4 a.m. start (Rough!) and went to the start where Christine and members of the Slyer family were lifeguarding the swim portion of the Ironman.  I just waited around and took pictures the entire time.  I got lots of all the racers, spectators, and even some of the elites!  After the swim was done we ate and watched the bikers come around for the 1st loop of the bike course.  Then Christine and I went on a run, it was supposed to be 2 miles, which turned into 6, that then turned into 9.5….  oops!  While we were running we saw Andy Potts the winner Potts winningwho was around 10 minutes ahead of the guy who was in 2nd.   He literally passed Christine and I 3 times before we made it back into town- that was him going out, in, and back out for his 2nd loop on the marathon.  Needless to say we felt slow.
After that we went to our aid station where we would be handing participants broth, water, soda, fruit, etc.  The goal is to give them fuel and to help motivate them.  It was really tiring but really fun and I was surprised at how many racers took the time to thank us for volunteering while they were going! If I were them I don’t know if I’d be able to say anything I’d be too tired.

After that we watched the final people to make it under the 17 hour cut off come in to the finish. IMG_1296 The cut off ended at midnight and let me tell you it was emotional- those people who barely make it I was like bawling, yelling; “GO RUN!!!!” which is silly because they can’t hear me, but its like to think of all the work they put into doing the race.  I mean seriously.  After that we didn’t make it back to the house until around 1 a.m.

Unfortunately for Christine and I our rain tarp apparently wasn’t working and so the inside of our tent had puddles.  After we moped it up and attempted to sleep- we started to get flooded.  So we moved inside the house to sleep on the living room floor at around 3 a.m. and then at 6 a.m. we got up to take down the tent and head back to Placid.

You see, the day after the race registration opens and sells out.  Volunteers get first dibs at signing up for the race so we had to get there around 7:30 a.m. because that’s when we could start registering. IMG_1213 Anyways, the slyer’s daughter (whose 17 btw) also registered for the Ironman next year- yea 17.   So while we were waiting in line with them after Christine already registered (I’m putting off a full for another year- I’m going to try to do a half next summer.) I was talking to Jon Slyer (whose Christine’s coach) and he was like so you doing this? And I said no I’m going to do a half first.  And then he asked if I was around a lot during the year to which I said no.  He replied with; ok, well we will get together and make a plan for you- what are you doing Thursday? We are going to do a swim/bike come along.  So I think this might be him taking me on and beginning to help coach me??? I’d be really happy if he is because I think I can learn a lot from him and honestly I’d love to have someone coach me and tell me how to do a bigger triathlon because everything I’ve figured out I’ve figured out on my own.  So we will see come Thursday- but I’ll let you know more about that later…

AFTER all of that we finally left Lake Placid to make our way home.  We were home by 11 a.m. and it felt like 7 p.m. to me haha.  I ended up completely crashing in my bed for an hour which gave me just enough energy to make it through the day.  By early that night I passed out. IMG_1222

So I have decided on Tupper Lake’s Tinman (Half-Ironman) for next summer.  This means that my biking skills need to seriously improve over the next year or I will be screwed. So that is everything new and exciting to tell you.  Which was a lot for me, so until later TTFN.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s